Posted on: July 17, 2019 1:42 pm
With a heat advisory in effect for multiple days, Alban CAT has put together a series of safety tips for dealing with the excessive heat.
During a heat advisory it is more important than ever to monitor you fluid intake. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, sports drinks (Gatorade), etc. will help you stay hydrated as the day goes on. Caffeinated beverages (soda, coffee, Ice tea), energy drinks, etc. should not be considered as part of your fluid intake and should be avoided.
- Be ready for the heat with plenty of water
- Most people suffer from dehydration because of an insufficient thirst drive
- Do not rely on thirst drive to signal need for fluids
- Drink 5 to 7 ounces every 15 to 20 minutes
- Drink cool fluids not hot or ice cold
- Adjust the day to do strenuous activities during the cooler part of the day (if possible)
- Increase communication and patience with others as people are affected by the heat
- Get sufficient sleep
- Eat small healthy meals instead of several large meals
- Eliminate off-the-job alcohol consumption or limit it for the heat wave
- Take shorter but frequent work-rest cycles rather than long work period followed by a long rest period
- Watch out for fellow co-workers or other workers in your area that may be affected by the heat.
For more information contact your Alban Equipment Rep, or call 1.888.492.6337 or use the contact form below .