Posted on: February 6, 2019 1:38 pm
From digging and leveling to hauling and dumping, your landscaping team puts in a lot of heavy lifting to keep up with the competition. And with the landscaping industry growing nearly six percent in the last five years, the competition is only increasing. Smart contractors know that to stay on top, you need the right tools and equipment to get the job done right. As landscaping projects get bigger, this goal means investing in landscaping heavy equipment to boost your productivity and tackle tough jobs with ease.
If you’re ready for an upgrade, use our equipment guide for landscapers to find the perfect machines and tools for your needs. We will cover all the essential landscaping equipment and tools you need, from backhoes to excavators to mulchers and more.
Backhoe loaders are a versatile and powerful machine that’s essential for tackling large landscaping jobs. Use backhoe loaders for trenching, digging, leveling soil, backfilling and moving heavy loads. The raw strength of Cat® backhoe loaders provides best-in-class pushing power and breakout force so that you can handle high volumes of materials and get the job done faster. Built with steel frame construction and powerful Cat ACERT® engines, Cat backhoes are designed for durability and endurance.
Cat backhoe loaders are also built for comfort and easy operation. Their small frame offers precise handling in tighter spaces, while their cab design provides better driver visibility and an ergonomic operator station for reduced operator fatigue. To make your job even easier, our backhoes feature extended dump height and reach.
To maximize the versatility of your backhoe loader, add work tool attachments like hammers, augers and more. By using attachments, you can eliminate the need for several other pieces of equipment and make the most of your investment. Cat backhoes are also available with excavator-style booms that boost loading performance and digging capabilities. At Alban CAT, we also offer backhoe loaders for rent to boost your team’s productivity or increase your capacity during the busy season.
When you need to dig holes for planting trees or trenches for irrigation, a Cat mini excavator is the right machine for the job. Just like our larger excavators, Cat mini excavators offer exceptional strength, so they can tear out tree stumps or remove large rocks. Our mini excavators dig deep enough for total root removal to prevent regrowth and keep your clients satisfied.
For residential landscaping jobs, the small frame of mini excavators provides excellent performance and maneuverability in tight spaces. Mini excavators can be used to access areas a backhoe cannot reach to install hardscaping or water features. For larger landscaping projects, Caterpillar® also offers small, medium and large excavators, so you can choose the perfect size for your job. Cat mini excavators can be used with a variety of work tools and attachments that make them even more versatile.
If you need a reliable and rugged excavator for your landscaping company but don’t have the means to purchase new, explore our Cat excavators available for rent. With our flexible short- and long-term rentals, you can enjoy the benefits of a Cat excavator as long as you need them.
Skid Steer Loaders
Compact but powerful, skid steer loaders are an essential landscaping tool. They can be used for moving mulch, gravel, stones and plants or loading materials into trucks for transport. Valued for their agility and versatility, skid steer loaders can also be used for efficient digging, trenching and grading, even in tight spaces. Because of their rubber tires, skid steers are perfect for jobsites with sidewalks, asphalt or other paved surfaces.
Cat skid steer loaders offer excellent fuel efficiency and impressive power for cost-effective performance. With various attachments available, skid steer loaders can be used for any landscaping job. While Cat skid steers are a versatile and valuable machine to add to your company’s inventory, we also offer a variety of skid steer loaders for rent.
Compact Track and Multi-Terrain Loaders
Multi-terrain and compact track loaders offer similar functionality as skid steer loaders and can be used for digging, leveling, trenching and hauling materials. What sets compact track and multi-terrain loaders apart is their track-based design and suspended undercarriage.
These loaders maneuver on steel-embedded rubber tracks that provide excellent traction, stability and flotation. Their suspended undercarriage offers lower ground pressure and minimal soil disturbance. Use multi-terrain and compact track loaders to tackle challenging or changing terrain or navigate a soft-terrain jobsite without tearing up the ground. Compact track and multi-terrain loaders are essential landscaping equipment, especially when you’re working on sites with lawns or malleable terrain.
When you choose a Cat multi-terrain or compact track loader, you also get Caterpillar’s industry-leading power, strength and durability. Cat compact track and multi-terrain loaders can be outfitted with a variety of attachments, making them versatile and effective. If your landscaping company works on soft terrain sites infrequently, you can rent a Cat multi-terrain or compact track loader to tackle a specific job.
Small and Compact Wheel Loaders
Small wheel loaders and compact wheel loaders pack all of the power and performance of larger Cat equipment in an easy-to-navigate machine. Wheel loaders are perfect for hauling heavy loads of gravel, soil, asphalt and other landscaping materials. This versatile piece of equipment can also be used for digging, loading and grading.
Cat small wheel loaders come in a variety of sizes and bucket capacities to handle different sized landscaping jobs. Turn to a compact wheel loader when you need a larger bucket capacity than your skid steer loader can offer.
Our small and compact wheel loaders are equipped with CAT Quick Coupler technology so that you can easily switch between work tool attachments in a matter of seconds. Pair that with Caterpillar’s signature high-performance engines and precise operating capability, and you’ll see how Cat wheel loaders can boost your team’s productivity and efficiency. If you want to see for yourself how our small or compact wheel loaders can benefit your landscaping company, rent a Cat wheel loader and give it a shot.
When your landscaping task calls for both lift and reach, use a Cat telehandler. Telehandlers can transport a large volume of stones, pavers, gravel, mulch and other landscaping materials. Powerful Cat telehandlers lift and place your materials for faster installation of stone or brick walls. Their precise handling and best-in-class visibility also make them perfect for carefully laying turfgrass or sod without having to walk on it after placement.
Cat telehandlers are available in a variety of sizes, with lift heights ranging from 18 to 55 feet. Use a telehandler with a long reach to lift materials onto rooftops when you’re landscaping a green roof or installing a rooftop garden. At Alban CAT, we have a variety of telehandlers for rent, so you can pick one up to tackle a tricky job.
Cat small dozers are designed with transportability and maneuverability in mind, making them well-equipped for residential and other small landscaping jobs. If your landscaping team typically tackles larger jobs, choose from our wide variety of dozer sizes and models to find the right fit for your company. Purchase a new or used dozer, or test out one of the rental dozers at Alban CAT.
These small but powerful machines feature a large metal plate for clearing, pushing, backfilling and grading. Use a small dozer to clear debris and brush as you prepare a jobsite, or rely on their excellent horsepower to remove stumps.
Small dozers have a wide variety of landscaping applications, but where they really shine is in their precise accuracy that allows for smooth finish grading. Whether you want to level soil to meet patios and sidewalks or leave room for sod or topsoil, small dozers will enable you to perfect your landscaping project and please your client.
Like other Caterpillar equipment, our small dozers offer speed, fuel efficiency and durability to increase your team’s productivity. These track-based machines use wide twin tracks to reduce ground pressure and maneuver effectively on soft-terrain jobsites.
Up Your Game With Work Tool Attachments
When you’ve found the perfect landscaping equipment for your team, don’t stop there. Landscaping work tools and attachments can be added to your equipment to further boost performance and efficiency. They can serve a wide variety of purposes during site preparation and maintenance. Smart use of attachments can make a single machine capable of tackling nearly any task, allowing you to get the most out of your equipment. When you’re choosing landscaping attachments, look for work tools that will help your team tackle common tasks with better precision, speed and ease.
Attachments for Clearing Brush and Foliage
When you’re preparing a jobsite, work tool attachments can help you tear through weeds and remove debris more quickly so that you can move on to the heavy lifting. Here are a few great work tools for clearing brush, leaves, foliage and debris:
- Brushcutters: Perfect for tearing through vegetation, weeds and small trees, brushcutters use metal blades to effectively clear-cut the desired area. They are a go-to attachment for skid steers, and they’re available in a variety of sizes to suit your needs.
- Brooms: When it comes to clearing ground, hydraulic broom attachments can quickly sweep away dirt, debris or even snow. Brooms can be added to most loader models for faster site preparation or cleanup.
- Flail mowers: Designed to cut through thicker grass, flail mower attachments can be used when a regular lawn mower is not enough for the job.
- Mulchers: An essential landscaping tool, a mulcher attachment allows you to quickly cut through thick vegetation and undergrowth while producing mulch you can reuse elsewhere in your landscape design. Mulchers work best with skid steers and multi-terrain loaders.
- Rakes: Another great option for clearing leaves and debris, a landscape rake attachment uses metal teeth to collect material while aerating and leveling the soil. Rakes can be added to compact track loaders and are available in a variety of widths for different job requirements.
- Shears: Effectively cut through trees and thick brush with a shear attachment. Our hydraulic shears are available in various heights and lengths to suit your needs.
- Stump grinders: Give your stump removal a leg up by using a stump grinder attachment to shave stumps to several inches below the ground surface.
Attachments for Digging and Leveling Ground
While your dozers, backhoes and excavators can do some serious digging, work tool attachments can be used to refine your trenching and leveling even further. Here are a few work tool attachments that can provide precise digging and leveling capabilities:
- Augers: Use an auger attachment to drill holes for placing posts, fencing, deck support beams, trees or shrubs. Cat augers are designed for fast and precise digging and available with a range of bit sizes. Augers can be attached to skid steers, excavators, backhoes and compact wheel loaders.
- Blades: Perfect for leveling, grading and hauling materials, blades have many applications on the jobsite. Choose a dozer, angle, box or woodchip blade to suit your project needs.
- Cold planers: When you’re removing old sidewalks or driveways, cold planer attachments can be used to effectively break up asphalt, pavement and concrete.
- Hammers: Another great option for removing old hardscaping features, hydraulic hammer attachments can be used to break up pavement and other hard surfaces.
- Landscape tillers: Designed for breaking up and blending soil, landscape tiller attachments can be used to prepare soil for treatments or planting.
- Trenchers: Dig trenches faster and easier with a trencher attachment. Durable trenchers can cut through soft soil and rocky terrain alike with speed and accuracy.
- Vibratory compactors: Use vibratory compactors to compress soil, asphalt or gravel for landscaping and hardscaping.
Attachments for Handling Materials
Expand the capabilities of your loaders and dozers by adding work tool attachments for handling materials. With the addition of buckets, forks or arms, your loader can take on the role of a telehandler or excavator without a hefty investment. Here are a few attachments for handling landscaping materials more effectively:
- Buckets: Available in a variety of sizes and configurations, buckets can be used to efficiently haul and dump materials on the jobsite. They can be attached to the front of your machine or added to a backhoe arm for extended reach and dump height.
- Forks: Upgrade your backhoe or loader with telehandler capabilities by adding a fork attachment. Forks can be used to lift and place pallets of materials, sod, stones and other heavy landscaping materials.
- Material handling arms: Designed for moving trees and shrubs, material handling arms can be used to transport materials or landscape features of unique sizes. Material handling arms are available with different load capacities and lengths to fit your job requirements.
Renting vs. Buying Landscaping Equipment
With so many essential landscaping equipment units and tools to choose from, it can be hard to decide what to invest in and where you can save by renting. When you’re deciding whether to buy or rent a certain piece of landscaping equipment, consider the following factors, which can help guide your decision:
- Frequency of use: Think about the landscaping tasks you perform on a regular basis and the tools you need to get them done. Investing in those essential pieces of equipment can save your team money in the long run, and the equipment will always be available right when you need it. When you purchase a versatile machine with various work tool attachments, you can make the most of your investment.
- Possibility of multiple uses: Buying a skid steer loader and maximizing its capabilities with work tools can be a smart investment for your team. However, it may be more cost-effective to rent a machine that has only one or two uses and limited attachments.
- Budget limitations: Renting landscaping heavy equipment can often save you money, especially if you’re a smaller landscaping company or have jobs with special requirements outside of your normal capabilities. While renting is more cost-effective for short-term or irregular use, you can save money by purchasing equipment you use regularly.
- Maintenance capabilities: If your landscaping team has the capabilities to maintain your equipment, you can save on servicing and repair fees. If you do not have the manpower or knowledge to keep your equipment well-maintained, renting may be a better option. Rental companies will take care of inspections, maintenance and repairs so that you can focus on tackling your job.
- Knowledge of the equipment: When you know the exact dozer or loader you want and how to use it well, buying can be a great investment. However, if you’re a new contractor or still figuring out which landscaping equipment is right for your company, renting will allow you to try out equipment without a long-term commitment.
Landscaping Equipment From Alban CAT
At Alban CAT, we have all of the essential landscaping tools and equipment you need to tackle even the toughest jobs. Our Cat landscaping equipment offers industry-leading power, performance, dependability and fuel efficiency. Enjoy easy and comfortable operation as well as the exceptional strength and durability that Caterpillar is known for. Cat landscaping heavy equipment also offers various safety features to protect your team and increase productivity.
As the largest machinery manufacturer in the world, Caterpillar continues to provide excellence with each new machine produced. Explore new landscaping equipment at Alban CAT or rent a late model and low-hour Cat machine to fill a gap or keep up during the busy season.
Still not sure what landscaping equipment or work tools your team needs? Give us a call at 888.492.6337 or contact us online to learn more. The expert team at Alban CAT is always happy to help you find the perfect landscaping heavy equipment to get the job done.