How to Choose Generators for Commercial and Industrial Use
If you’re a business owner, the last thing you need is to experience costly downtime due to an unexpected power loss. Fortunately, reliable commercial generators are available to provide a power solution, but knowing how to choose generators that are right for your organization isn’t necessarily an easy task.
Assessing Your Power Needs
A key first step for knowing how to choose a generator for your operation is examining the specific needs of your business. For instance, a data center that manages and stores vital information typically has more stringent power requirements than a seasonal business that may only need a power supply at certain times during the year. You should also have a good handle on how much power your business consumes during the year, as well as the average power load.
Knowing the Different Types of Generators That Are Available
Generators come in a variety of types, so it is important to understand the differences between them:
- Continuous generators will meet 100 percent of your power needs during the year and are ideally suited for situations where power loads remain relatively constant.
- Prime generators provide continuous operation for varying power loads, although at a reduced average load factor than continuous generators.
- Limited-load generators offer an average load factor of 100 percent, but are only designed to operate at a maximum of 500 hours per year.
- Standby generators are commercial generator backup power sources that provide short-term power solutions for the duration of a power outage.
- Emergency generators offer a temporary power solution, but only for outages lasting no longer than 24 hours.
Choosing a Fuel Source
Generators operate on gas or diesel fuel. Natural gas is readily accessible via underground pipes, although it can be more expensive. Diesel fuel supplies may need to be stored on-site, a practice that is strictly regulated in many commercial zones for safety reasons.
Turn to Alban CAT Power Systems for Expert Assistance in the Selection Process
For reliable help in determining how to choose generators for your business, contact the experts at Alban CAT Power Systems. We carry a complete selection of Cat® natural gas and diesel generators for the commercial market, and we have the know-how to help you make an informed purchasing decision.